Toegepast Natuurwetenschappelijk Onderzoek
- this page is a stub
Nederlandse Organisatie voor Toegepast-Natuurwetenschappelijk Onderzoek
(Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research), abbreviated TNO,
is an independent not-for-profit research organisation that focuses on applied
science, headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands.
The organisation was established in 1932 and fulfils the role of innovator on
behalf of the Dutch Ministry of Defence and
the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment.
In addition, it is entrusted with government responsibilities related
to defence and security, workforce participation and Geological Survey.
Knowlege can be shared with the public sector by means of licencing,
patent sharing and research contracts.
TNO-related items on this website
The timeline below show the history of TNO. Althoug the organisation was
officially founded in 1932, its history starts in 1927 with the establishement
of Meetgebouw (measurement building).
At the start of World War II (WWII), in 1940, at the request of the Dutch
Navy, TNO's radar pioneer Ir. Von Weiler moved to the UK, taking with him
the first Dutch developments in the field of radar.
During the war, Von Weiler worked in the UK at the Admiralty Signals
Establishment (ASE) .
One year into World War II (WWII), in 1941, TNO's Physics Laboratory
(PhL) was placed under the state-owned telecom provider PTT, which at the
time was under control of the German occupant.
In 1943 it was placed under the Centrale Werkplaats
(CWP) — the Central Workshop of the PTT.
After the war, TNO's former Physics Lab was split in two parts: the Central
Laboratory, which remained with the PTT, and the old Physics Lab which
became part of the Ministry of War. The latter was re-established in 1947
as the independent State Defence Organisation RVO-TNO.
Von Weiler returned in 1946 and was assigned to the Scientific Research Office
of the Dutch Navy and later to the Naval Radio Service (MRD) in Oegstgeest.
The latter evolved in 1950 into the Navy's Laboratory of Electronic Development
(LEO), which was renamed renamed LEOK in 1955.
In 1984, the Electronics Research Lab of the Dutch Navy (LEOK) was merged
with TNO again, to become TNO-FEL.
In 1955, the Central Laboratory of the state-owned PTT had been renamed
Dr. Neher Laboratory which, after the privatization of
PTT in 1989, became KPN Research. In 2003, KPN Research was
split-off from KPN and was merged with TNO Telecom.
Today, all individual subsidaries (RVO-TNO, TNO-FEL, TNO-Telecom, etc.)
are united under the generic TNO brand.
- Bergen op Zoom
- Brussel (Belgium)
- Delft (4)
- Eindhoven (3)
- Groningen (2)
- The Hague (3)
- Rijswijk (2)
- Zeist (2)
- Yokohama (Japan)
- Defence, Safety & Security
- Mobility & Built Environment
- ICT, Strategy & Policy
- High Tech Industry
- Healthy Living & Work
- Energy & Materials Transition
Any links shown in red are currently unavailable.
If you like the information on this website, why not make a donation?|
© Crypto Museum. Created: Friday 07 April 2023. Last changed: Tuesday, 18 April 2023 - 09:05 CET.